Are the Notecards / Notecarriers intrinsically safe?

Hi,

I’m looking at using the Notecard/ Notecarrier F in a hazardous environment and I am studying ways to ensure the design is safe to use without having to use any type of sealant.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

If you are not required to be certified and can live with explosion proof (hazardous gases may be present) versus intrinsically safe (hazardous gases can be present 24x7), then you can:

1. everything in an explosion proof enclosure
  2. use intrinsically safe certified connectors for any wires going in or out of the enclosure
  3. where possible mount your device in the safest location. For example we mount our devices on top of crude oil storage tanks at well heads. By mounting the devices 12" above the top of the tank, we move from a intrinsically safe requirement to an explosion proof requirement.

Karl

1 Like

Hi Karl,

Would an IP67 enclosure be considered explosion proof?

Thanks,

Mike

No, IP ratings have to do with Ingress Protection against liquids or solids. Here is a link that explains those: Understanding IP Ratings

I would look at NEMA rating. Class 1 Div 1 is intrinsically safe, Class 1 Div 2 is explosion proof. There are corresponding ATEX (EU) ratings, but I don’t remember those off the top of my head.

1 Like