Has the setup for twilio changed since the documentation was made

I tried to set up routing for twilio and had issues with authentication. I followed the directions from the twilio sms guide on the blues site.

For background, I have been using twilio with some python programs for a few years with the current credentials and that has been working fine.

Has anyone had success getting this working lately?


I have gone through it as recently as a month ago.

The trick is in creating the Authorization token, a base64 encoded string preceded by Basic , which ends up looking like Basic QUMwNW...lYWE2Y2Jkw==

Step 6 must be followed exactly:

  1. This token can be generated by base 64 encoding your Twilio account SID and authentication token, with a colon separating the two (account_sid:auth_token).

Well I must be doing something wrong as I spent some time tonight completely regenerating the route and testing with no luck. Something is not right, but I certainly cant find it. I guess I will check it over tomorrow

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it. I have set the twilio routing up identical to the online docs and checked with webhook and verified the exact same details in the request as the online docs with the exception of the token an SID which of course are my own. Yes, I did generate the base64 for these keys, but so far no luck. I have also tested the same keys in a python script to verify the keys work as expected. The following is the response from the log of the event…

“log”: {
“app:2596bdcd-c462-4eaf-98e1-fbd8be5b9b87/route:067c37aa7ea3bdb074556a23bf0eb390”: {
“attn”: true,
“status”: “401”,
“text”: "{"code":20003,"message":"Authenticate","more_info":"https://www.twilio.com/docs/errors/20003\“,\“status\”:401}”

Just to confirm, you are following these steps (exactly):

  1. Make a single plain text string consisting of your account SID, a colon, and your auth token, which would look like <account_sid>:<auth_token>
    (be sure to replace “<account_sid>” with your account SID and “<auth_token>” with your auth token)
  2. Base64 encode the string containing your account SID, a colon, and your auth token.
  3. Construct your authorization value by prefixing the newly created Base64 encoded string with “Basic” followed by a space.
  4. The put the value in the field opposite the Authorization key.

Thankyou, perhaps you may have guessed, I generated each of the SID and token separately and put them in the authorization values separated by a colon! Re-watching the video clip, I can see that now, but to be honest, I did not see it originally. Your description above although may seem trivial is more clear to me the steps.

BTW, it works now!!

1 Like

No worries, it’s a goofy thing to setup. It took me forever to get it right the first time.

I’m glad you got it working!