Non-ugly notecarrier enclosure

Hi All,

I want to make a few devices, based on the Notecarrier F + swan, to test a concept. The device would sit in a medical lab and work unattended. It doesn’t need to be waterproof but it does need to be unobtrusive and not be ugly. It needs to hold a LiPo cell and another small board.

Does anyone know of standard enclosures that hold the Notecarrier F without too much extra work?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

1 Like

Rob,

Did you take a look at PRODUCT SEARCH | TAKACHI - Manufacturer of electronics enclosures and industrial enclosures? One of my favorite enclosure makers in Japan.

Warm regards,
Rob Oudendijk

@rlkeith will any of these suffice?

2 Likes

Thank you. I was trying to avoid 3D printing anything. It always looks terrible when I try it.

Regards,

Rob

Thank you. I have used Takachi enclosures in the past. They are good, but hard to buy in small quantities in a hurry. I hoped there would be an enclosure that would just fit the Notecarier F.

My current plan is to design a carrier board, to hold a Notecarrier B, a Swan and the Bluetooth module I use, to fit into an OKW enclosure. That will pass the aesthetic panel.

Regards,

Rob

1 Like

Rob,

Not if you have an SLA 3D printer like a Photon X mono(https://t.ly/gb8Ns). That normally look much better. I have printed custom parts for Porsche that looked better than the originals from Porsche. But take a look in the Takachi catalog. Sure, they have something you like.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

We use the Bud Industries PN-1324 (IP65 NEMA 4X Box with Clear Cover and Mounting Brackets PN-1324-CMB - Bud Industries) with a grey top.

Inside we have a 4400maH LiPoly battery, a 4-20ma input board, and the Notecarrier-F, an RS-485 board and 12VDC power output. We 3D printer a carrier board to hold the Notecarrier-F and the 4-20ma board.

These are relatively inexpensive, easy to procure in small quantities and look fine.

1 Like

Karl,

Indeed, they look fine. Similar (maybe cheaper than the Takachi boxes) as the one we used at Safecast for the Pointcasts (real-time radiation monitoring devices). See https://safecast.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Minamisoma-Odaka01.jpg

Regards
Rob Oudendijk

Rob,

I checked out OKW enclosures. Indeed, very nice. I hope you can get the right mounting places in the units. The 3D model from TJ is very impressive and surely will fit. Here under a test render in Blender.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

Thanks. I found some boxes locally but the Aesthetics Department is still unhappy.

Rob

Rob,

You have pictures of the boxes?

Regards,
rob Oudendijk

@rlkeith I’ve had good luck with Bud Industries in the past. If you sort by material you’ll likely see same dimensions with different aesthetics.

I am using a plain rectangular box for the first prototypes, from JPR electronics in the UK.

We will use the OKW case for the lab monitor. We have used it before in medical applications.
SOFT-CASE-ZR-volcano_TitleImageSwap500x408

1 Like

twojo,

Bud seems to be a good choice. Nice design and not expensive.

Regards,
Rob Oudendiijk

1 Like