Air quality sensor busted

Hi my device is note:dev:864475044215530 and it seems that the air quality sensor stopped working a while ago. Anything I can do to troubleshoot it?

Hi Afade,

Sorry to hear that the unit stopped working.
I will check the logs and let you know.

Warm regards,
Rob Oudendijk

rob

1 Like

Afade,

Seems your air sensor has stopped working. Data is being sent, but the PM2.5 data is 0.
I was sending data correctly and suddenly when very high and the 0. Seems to be clogged or broken.

Warm regards,
Rob

Do you think you can open the unit up and check take a picture and or try to blow air though the sensor?

1 Like

It seems to have reported good data in the past few hours, but indeed I see that most data before that is zero.

I am wondering if this is a power issue. The LiPo’s voltage is being reported as 3.4-3.5v which is extremely low, and perhaps it isn’t providing sufficient current for the particle sensor to reliably power-up.

As a test, I would suggest bringing it indoors, popping it open, plug a micro-USB cable into it, and charge the battery overnight before putting it back.

Also, please be aware that the most common issue with Airnote failure has been related to placement of the unit. Solar panels in general, and Airnote’s solar panel in particular, require periodic exposure to truly direct sunlight. That is, it will not charge if it’s in light that is filtered through leaves, or on cloudy days. It can seem light outside when in fact the unit won’t be charging if it doesn’t have sunlight directly shining on the panel.

Unfortunately, some people do not have a window facing in a direction where the sun directly shines. In these cases I regret to say that there really isn’t a good solution short of finding somewhere else in the neighborhood to mount it.

In any case, please keep an eye on the voltage. During sunny periods, you’ll know if it’s placed well if you see itclimb up above 4V.

2 Likes

I blew air through it and turned it off and on again and it seems to be reporting data again.

1 Like

And thanks so much for responding to both of you, I am honored to receive your help.

1 Like

I am happy that you got it solved. And as Ray mentioned, better charge it up and see if it can hold the charge for a while. If needed, you can also add (as I have done for some units) and small extra solar panel that can output USB (5volt) power. Like https://t.ly/b5i-.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

Hi guys, so we definitely have like 150 AQI at my location right now, but my sensor is reporting a much better number for some reason. I tried rebooting it and giving it an extra solar panel and moving it to another location. Is the sensor just busted somehow?

afade1,

The Airnote is showing ug/m3 not AIO values as far as I know.

Please read about the difference at https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2016-04/documents/2012_aqi_factsheet.pdf

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk

afade1,

If you want to know more details, take a look at the purpleair map at Real-Time Air Quality Map | PurpleAir

It also depends on what standard the AQI ins measured. See the arrow below screenshot to select the standard.

regards,
rob

Thanks for the info, but other sites right now show that the PM2.5 in my area is up to 40 or 50 and the AQI is up to 150. Mine is reporting a PM2.5 in the teens and a AQI of 50. Seems low no?

afade1,

Yes, seem low. Did you check the Purpleair map in your area (Yonkers)?

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk